Monday, February 17, 2014

Sorting it all Out is officially dead, but...



It has been made officially clear to me that the Blog I worked on from the end of 2004 until just recently is for all intents and purposes *dead*.

In my view that is unfortunate, because by starting just a few years after I started working for Microsoft fulltime, it is a chronicle of Internationalization and World Readiness know how that spans the bulk of my i18N career at Microsoft, at least!

As I have shown in another blog
here, most of it is still reachable, so although some of the readymade samples are gone, most of the Blog's actual content is still available in a way that cannot be taken away.

Long live the amazingly wonderful website called The Internet Archive @ http://archive.org !!

Now a part of me wants to find my favorite blogs and liberate them to this new Blog. Perhaps it would be exciting to re-inflate the Blog this way. I would enjoy it, and scrolling through nine years of blogs would be exciting, don't you think? ;-)

















5 comments:

  1. The oldnewthing recently linked to one of your articles that does not exist on archive.org ( http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2008/05/02/8449317.aspx or http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2008/10/02/8971896.aspx IIRC )

    If you still have access to the content it would be great if you could mirror the technical posts somewhere where google can index it. You posted a lot of useful information not available anywhere else and it would be a great shame if this content gets lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you and I agree with you, but I can't take care of everything until the powers that be loosen up and let the blog back up...

      Delete
  2. So sad! Your blog could sometimes answer things that weren't answered anywhere else due to the niche topic. Hope you do get a chance (and find the time) to re-post most of it elsewhere, as google doesn't appear to index archive.org or maybe filters it out...

    Lesson for others: don't trust your company with hosting your blog, I guess. Thanks, Microsoft. You've wiped a whole bunch of rather rare knowledge off the Internet. Was it really necessary? I know it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael

    Then what is the correct place now to ask you questions related to your work? Those are rare (once in 3 years?) but critical for many.
    For exampe, MSKLC related questions like this one (I tried to help a person but it looks like only you can tell the final 'truth'):

    MSKLC makes 4 hardware-related files - for i386, wow64, amd64 and ia64
    But Windows RT works only on ARM-powered devices such as the new Surface tablet. So keyboard layouts made with the help of MSKLC cannot beused under RT, right?

    The guy asked me that question in this discussion: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/6f1faf47-2b13-422a-9faa-30d7d2afa75f
    where his question (followed by me trying to help him) is on Page 4:
    http://answers.microsoft.com//message/327dba6f-ae83-4797-a383-17a846516389?threadId=6f1faf47-2b13-422a-9faa-30d7d2afa75f

    Thanks,
    Paul

    ARM-powered devices such as the new Surface tablet.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/6f1faf47-2b13-422a-9faa-30d7d2afa75f

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to have found this out, your blog and your articles were a true cultural repository. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete